It’s Mardi Gras time. For a twist on a delicious carnival season classic, try these King Cake Cinnamon Rolls.
Official king cake season here in the Deep South starts on January 6th (Ephiphany) and runs through the end of the day before Lent (Fat Tuesday). Ephiphany celebrates the Three Wise Men’s visit to Baby Jesus and is also known as Three King’s Day.
The king cake is thought to have been introduced to what is now the Southern United States by European settlers in the 1700s. Over time, the sweet cake became closely associated with Mardi Gras.
Today’s King Cakes
Today’s cakes are generally oval in shape and may or may not contain a filling. They are topped with a glaze and purple, green, and gold sugar or sprinkle colors. The Krewe of Rex in New Orleans introduced the colors of Mardi Gras in the 1800s. Purple stands for justice, green for faith, and gold for power.
As you can imagine, much debate occurs each year over who makes the best king cake. And new fun twists on the original king cake emerge all the time.
Speaking of twists, let me show you how to make these simple King Cake Cinnamon rolls. Whip them up yourself or have the whole family help you with this colorful baking project.
King Cake Cinnamon Roll Ingredients
First, the only ingredients that you will need are:
- 1 or 2 cans of ready to bake Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing. For the rolls that you see in my picture I used Grands Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing.
- A jar or pouch each of Purple, Green, and Gold colored sugar.
Directions For Putting Your Mardi Gras Treats Together
- Pop the Cinnamon Rolls out of their can and on to a greased cookie sheet.
2. Cook as directions on package call for or until you see done. Mine took about 5 minutes less than directions. If unsure, test for baked interior by inserting fork in middle to see if comes out clean.
3. Spoon slightly warm Cream Cheese Frosting over the cooked Cinnamon Rolls. I use a zig zag pattern to spoon on. Looks pretty and gives good surface for colored sugar to stick to.
4. Sprinkle Purple Colored Sugar on 1/3 of each Cinnamon Roll. Then, Green Sugar on a 1/3, and finally, Gold Sugar on a 1/3.
5. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or a nice cold glass of milk.
Let the Good Times Roll, while you savor your sweet eats.
King Cake Cinnamon Rolls
- Baking Sheet
- 1 or 2 Cans of Ready to Bake Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 Jar of Purple Colored Sugar
- 1 Jar of Green Colored Sugar
- 1 Jar of Gold Colored Sugar
- Place ready to bake Cinnamon Rolls on baking sheet.
- Bake as directed. Periodically watch through oven window to ensure do not get overcooked.
- Pour slightly warmed Cream Cheese over Cinnamon Rolls in a zig-zag pattern.
- Spinkle 1/3 of each roll with Purple Sugar.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of each roll with Green Sugar.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of each roll with Gold Sugar.
- Grab a cup of coffee or milk and enjoy.
For more Mardi Gras Ideas:
16 Things To Put In Mardi Gras Gift Baskets
Eye Catching Mardi Gras Centerpiece