She was one of those extraordinary people who spreads kindness and encouragement whether she went. Here name is Sarah Sadowski and her life served as a master class in how consistently doing kind things for other people can make tidal wave changes in this world.
So Sadowski, this post is dedicated to and inspired by you. (Now 5 years after you have left this planet), you have continued to challenge us to keep carrying kindness and compassion forward in this world. This past year has taught us more than any other that we better keep going!
So many people need a Loving Pick Me Up on Valentine’s Day and here are 17 Ways to do just that.
1. Send a note of thanks to someone who may not often get thanked such as the bus driver, the cafeteria lady at your child’s school, the garbage collector, a power company worker, etc…
2. Bake some cookies or brownies and wrap them up as sweet treats for your neighbors. Especially, think about people on your street who may not have a lot of people to wish them a Happy Valentine’s such as a widower.
3. Buy a pack or two of Valentine’s cards and personalize for residents at a nursing home, people in the hospital, youth in foster care, etc… Also, you might consider addressing some and giving them out to strangers you run across during the day.
4. Take some doughnuts or a breakfast basket to your local fire station. Firefighters will love the unexpected meal.
5. Go through the drive through at Starbucks or a fast food restaurant and pay for the purchase of the person behind you. Hop on over to the KindSpring site where you can download little business size “Smile” cards for the cashier to hand to the driver behind you.
6. Fill some mason jars with treats for your co-workers. How about some of this Sweet and Salty Valentine’s Chex Mix.
7. Clear the walkway or driveway of snow for a neighbor if you are physically able to.
8. Leave a bigger tip than usual for the server at a restaurant today.
9. Take some dog or cat food to the animal shelter. Pets need our loving kindness, as well.
10. Leave a post-it-note on a shopping cart telling the next shopper to have a great day.
11. Offer to babysit for a couple with young kids so that can enjoy an evening out in peace.
12. Donate blood. You may be giving a gift that will save a life.
13. Make a Valentine out of sticky notes with the things that you like about your spouse or child and leave it on their bathroom mirror, in their lunch sack, on their bed, etc..
14. Leave a positive comment on a blog or review website. Trust me this will make somebody’s day (Random Acts of Kindness Foundation).
15. Take some teddy bears or other stuffed animals to a local nonprofit that works with domestic abuse victims. Their clients could use something soft to hug and hold close.
16. Make up small care packages in plastic ziplock bags and take to the Salvation Army or other entities that work with people who are homeless. Enclose a note of encouragement, a favorite Bible verse, a toothbrush, toothpaste, some Hershey’s Kisses, hand lotion, gloves, etc…
17. Spread the message of love and kindness online. From sending online Valentine’s Day wishes to sharing powerful quotes and good news stories, use social media to inspire kindness.
Hope these suggestions help you spread kindness and compassion in your community and far beyond. And may we all be inspired to show kindness on the other 364 days a year, as well.
For more encouragement:
These are great. I’m planning on making a few mason Jays and filling them with individual goodies for my coworkers. I may bring so donuts to the fire department a few blocks down from my house too.
My mom’s church always does breakfast for one of the local fire stations on Christmas and the folks there are so thrilled. Thought Valentine’s Day would be such a good time to do it, as well.
Amanda @ The Kolb Corner says
These are all such wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing them with us at Merry Monday!
Your welcome. Love Merry Monday.
Mrs. AOK says
These are awesome ideas!! Thanks for sharing with us at #MMBH!!
Always enjoy #MMBH.
Lisa @ Fun Money Mom says
What a great post…such sweet ideas! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Share The Wealth Sunday! xoxo