Beautiful in life are lots of kind inexpensive things that we can do for other people. These gestures, though they may seem small, can have a big impact.
Check out these 30 Kind Things to Do for Others that you can get started on today.
1. Babysit family or friend’s kids for an evening.
2. Bake some bread and take to others. How about this Banana Nut Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
3. Donate your magazines to a doctor’s office.
4. Draw a nice message/picture on a friend or family member’s driveway with sidewalk chalk (Creekside Learning).
5. Give some homemade mason jar gifts. Check out these budget-friendly 18 Mason Jar Gift Recipes with Free Printable Gift Tags from Freebie Finding Mom.
6. Give gently used children’s’ books to a domestic violence shelter or social services agency.
7. Go to the grocery store for an older person or help unload groceries from a cart into a person’s car at the store.
8. Help carry something for someone on crutches.
9. Hold the door open for a passerby.
10. Leave a happy on someone’s desk at work (A piece of candy, gum, etc…)
11. Leave business card size notes with uplifting quotes on them on tables, in magazines, etc.. at places where people have to wait. For example, locations like doctors’ offices and car repair shops.
12. Leave bottled water or soft drinks with a note of well wishes for the garbage men or women. Think about what a thankless and stinky job they have much of the time.
13. Let a vehicle merge into traffic in front of you.
14. Let someone with fewer items check out in front of you at the grocery store.
15. Look a person in the eye and tell them thank you.
16. Make homemade Valentine’s for nursing home patients.
17. Mow a lawn.
18. Pass along a plant or clipping to another person.
19. Pay for the coffee of the person behind you in line.
20. Pet sit for a friend for a weekend or offer to take his or her pet for a walk.
21. Pick up trash on a roadside. Of course, keep a careful eye on traffic and don’t put yourself in danger while cleaning up.
22. Put some coins in the meter for a stranger.
23. Rake the leaves.
24. Send a card letting a person know what is special about him or her.
25. Shovel the driveway for a neighbor.
26. Snag a vase at the dollar store, stick a flower from your yard in it, and give to a family member or friend.
27. Stop and give bottled water to people working outside on a hot day.
28. Take snacks or breakfast to your local fire station on a holiday. Emergency personnel have to work when lots of other folks do not.
29. Volunteer time at a school to help a student that needs extra reading practice.
30. Wheel a neighbor’s empty garbage can back up his or her driveway.
For more ways to make somebody’s day:
10 Great Gifts for Older People Under $25
35 Budget-Friendly Things to Put in College Care Packages
Alexandra @ My Urban Family says
These are wonderful suggestions, and I love the idea of leaving someone a message in chalk on their driveway 🙂
Yes, the chalk message lets you be so creative without leaving anything permanent.
Cute. I feel like people should automatically do all of these things but having a reminder is always a good thing.
Yes, it would be great if we would all do automatically, but I think all our technology devices have us so distracted that we forget to look out for others.
These are wonder ideas. I wish more people were as nice and generous! Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to do some of these this week!
Yes, it really takes so little to brighten a person’s day.
All great ideas, sometimes a little inspiration is all it takes!
Great that their are kind things that can be done anytime of the day, at any place.
I love these. It’s crazy to me how many people won’t hold the door open for others, or even return a smile these days. Hopefully, a little more kindness from all of us can help create a ripple effect.
Yes, it is so simple to be kind to someone else in a way that will make his or her day.
I *love* this list!! Serving makes me so happy, I need to make more of an effort to teach and show my kids that! What an amazing post to remember how to be creative in serving others. Kindness is such a simple thing, but it goes so far!!
Thank you SO much for linking up with #MerryMonday Link Party! I would love for you to join us next week and share more of your awesome stuff! 🙂
-Britni from Happy Mama Tales
Really fun to put the post together and think about all the kind things we can do for others that are really so simple.
Nan a.k.a Granny Fabulosa says
These small acts of kindness are as much a gift to the do-er as the receiver. Imagine if everyone tried doing some small act of kindness even once a day.
Yes, if everyone did a small act of kindness each day, it would be world changing.
Gaye @CalmHealthySexy says
Hi Sarah – Thanks for linking up with the Let’s Get Real party. This will be my featured post at this week’s party.
Compliment a random someone in passing, or while checking out, etc – be it on their smile, hairstyle, outfit, color they are wearing – will brighten someone’s day. It always puts a spring in my step when it happens to me!