The kids are in school, Friday night football is in full swing, and the leaves on the trees are turning. On top of that, the opportunities to save money are multiplying. Check out these 10 Fantastic Ways to Save Money this Fall.
First, shop the Summer Clearance Sales for:
1. Clothing and Accessories such as flip flops, life vests, short sleeve pajamas, shorts, swim goggles, swimsuits, t-shirts, sandals, sundresses, sunglasses, sun hats, tank tops, water shoes, and visor hats.
2. Gardening Supplies such as canning necessities, garden clogs, hoses, plants, planters, pots, potting soil, rain barrels, seeds, seedling pots, sprinklers, and tools.
3. Kids’ Toys such as beach pails and shovels, bubble machines, frisbees, gardening sets, inflatable bouncers, inflatable pools, kickballs, play lawn mowers, pogo sticks, roller skates, sandboxes, squirt guns, swing sets, trampolines, and water play tables
4. Outdoor Furniture and Accessories such as birdhouses, canopies, chaise lounge chairs, deck storage boxes, fountains, gazebos, gliders, grills, grilling tools, indoor/outdoor tablecloths, lawn ornaments, misters, outdoor bars, outdoor lighting, outdoor rugs, patio furniture covers, patio sets, pergolas, sun shades, trellises, and walk through screens.
5. Take advantage of Back to School sales to stock up on office supplies. It is a given that back to school sales offer good prices on school supplies, but many people forget that these sales are great for replenishing office supplies.
6. Keep your eye out for excellent deals on computers and tablets in September. In conjunction with back to school sales, many retailers discount desktops, laptops, and handheld devices.
7. If in need of a car or appliance such as an oven, dishwasher, or washing machine, fall may well be your time. New model year lines are introduced, leaving the need to clear out the previous year’s models.
On the Food Scene:
8. Buy in season produce for the best values in fruits and vegetables. Foods in season in the fall include apples, arugula, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cranberries, figs, garlic, grapes, key limes, kohlrabi, mushrooms, pears, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, and turnips (Fruits and Veggies More Matters website and About Food). Also, do not forget about nuts such as pecans and walnuts.
9. Take advantage of holiday sales. Both Halloween and Thanksgiving bring lots of food-related bargains. Right after Halloween is the best time to snag all sorts of candy that can we used for the Christmas holiday, as well as, frozen for future use. Also, be on the lookout for other foods items that with special Halloween packaging such as cake mix, cookies, cracker snack packs, frosting, fruit snacks, popcorn and pretzels.
And don’t forget that you can grab some real bargains on pumpkins right after the holiday, as well as, Halloween costumes.
When it comes to Thanksgiving, many of the best food deals can be scored in the 2 to 3 weeks leading up to the holiday. And definitely note that on canned goods and baking supplies, these are among the best deals of the whole year.
Look for low prices and coupon offers for foods such as baking chocolate, butter (via Reader’s Digest) canned rolls, canned soups, canned vegetables, cranberries, evaporated milk, flour, french fried onions, gravy, hams, pie crusts, sugar, stuffing, sweetened condensed milk, and turkey.
Snag a Getaway:
10. Look for travel bargains in the U.S. after Labor Day and before Thanksgiving. Many destinations offer discounted deals for visits during this shoulder season including theme parks such as Disney and beach towns. Get started with 6 Places to Find Off-Season Travel Deals.
On top of all of the ways to save above, look for Black Friday deals headed your way even earlier this year than ever before.
For more great ways to save money:
Eye Catching Seasonal Tablescapes Under $3
Gail Akeman says
I never think about buying for the next year. I should if I have money.
I love in season produce this time of the year! Thanks for the great tips!
Life Breath Present says
I really never knew about the appliance thing. This is certainly something to keep in mind as we look to purchasing a deep freezer at some point (hopefully pretty soon)! And, it was literally just yesterday that I was thinking to keep my eye out for gardening supplies for Spring over the next few weeks/months! 🙂
Brita Long says
I definitely need gardening supplies! We just moved into our rental townhouse this spring. It’s my first chance to try some beginner gardening. The hose that came with the townhouse badly needs replacing!
The clearance garden deals are really rolling out, especially online.
Jamie @ Medium Sized Family says
Great ideas. I was able to find a couple of clearanced “summer” items that will make great birthday gifts.
Great idea to use as birthday presents.
Glenda Cates says
Thank you as we all can us tips to save money.
Yes, fun to know there are easy ways to save money.
Angela @ Setting My Intention says
I tried looking for some summer swim shirts but there were none! They were all sold out. I love to buy things on sale! I’m trying to teach my kids about deals and how to approach sales associates about them. Thanks for sharing at the Let’s Get Real Link Up!
Great idea about teaching the kids how to approach sales associates about deals. Wish someone had showed me that early on.
Hannah @ Eat, Drink and Save Money says
Fabulous tips! Thanks for linking up with Share the Wealth Sunday. I’m sharing this on FB and my blog this week.
I like holiday sales.
Yes, can get some fantastic deals.