Let’s face it! Back to School purchases can add up to big bucks in a hurry if not careful. Without a shopping plan, the sticker shock at checkout can be brutal. But with cost saving knowledge on your side, such as these 5 Easy Ways to Save on School Supplies, your dollars will stretch so much further.
(Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. If you click one of the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission that will help support this blog. Thanks so much.)
1. Price Compare Among Ads-Retailers and manufacturers invest lots of money in promoting school supply deals because they have become such a big source of revenue. It is worth grabbing the Wednesday and Sunday papers in your area to check out the circulars if you do not already have a newspaper subscription. I like having hard copies of the ads because sometimes they are needed to convince cashiers at some stores of sale pricing. If you cannot snag a hard copy, don’t despair. Many retailers offer a copy of their store ads via their websites or they can be found by clicking over to Shop Local and entering your zip code.
Some stores will price match competitor ads so you may be able to cut down on store visits. Simply check retailers websites for their policies on price matching.
2. Look for Coupons to Pair with Sale Prices-Take your purchase price down even further by using coupons where available when purchasing your school supplies. Great places to find coupons include:
Online Coupon Sites such as Coupons.com, RedPlum.com, SmartSource.com, SavingStar, and Upromise
Printable and cell phone loadable coupons on retailers sites. Target is an excellent example of a company who offers special coupons via its website, as well as, the Cartwheel app.
3. Know Bottom Line Real Deal Prices-Several bloggers, who pay attention to product prices year round, offer great information about what prices are real deals on school supplies. I recommend taking a look at Passion for Savings’ Back to School Section and The Krazy Coupon Lady’s Back to School Deals.
4. Explore the Deals from Online Retailers-In the past, I have found the best back to school deals at bricks and mortar stores, but with the number of people shopping online exponentially increasing each year, that may very well be poised to change.
Great online price comparison sites can be found at 7 Sites for Find the Best Online Deals.
5. Know What You Need-Have your child’s school supply list right in front of you when shopping both in stores or online. Some schools are very specific with their descriptions of particular items on the school supply list. For example, you may be asked to send washable markers only or binders with pockets and no designs on the front. One of the easiest ways to waste money is to purchase the wrong items and have to spend the time and cost in gas or shipping to return.
Do not forget to pick up items that you need for your home office or workstation during your back to school shopping. This Office Supply Stock up List will provide you a list of items to consider stocking up on.