Chives, great for adding the flavor of onions or garlic to food without all the potency. Easy to grow from seed, chives can be readily found in the common variety (onion flavor), as well as, the garlic variation. They double as nice bedding plant additions to a garden and are perennial.
Here are some foods that chives jive with, along with some recipes.
- Potatoes-Baked or Mashed, it makes no difference. Chives are an inexpensive, flavorful addition.
- Salad Dressing-A nice chive vinaigrette will really hit the spot.
- Soup-Dive into Seven Soups Every Saturday: Soups Recipes with Chives or Chive Oil from Soup Chick.
- Shrimp-How about Nita’s Shrimp with Chive and Garlic Butter found at Food.com.
- Bread-Some of Ina Garten’s Chive Biscuits will light up your taste buds.
- Chicken-Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Simple Chive Sauce from Diabetic Living makes for a great main dish.
Other articles in the Easy, Inexpensive to Grow Herbs Series include: