Ah Cilantro! One of the more distinctive tasting of the herbs and a prolific grower. An herb with a very fresh, pungent taste that adds lots of flavor depth to a dish. Cilantro, also known as coriander, grows easily from seed and is happy in a pot alongside dill, basil, and other quickly maturing herbs.
Varieties that you can commonly find in seed packets include Calypso, Confetti, and Delfino. My favorite is the Calypso because it is slow to bolt or flower out.
Here are foods that pair well with Cilantro.
- Jazzy Black Beans- Make a nice, filling meatless meal by jazzing up Black Beans. Ingredients needed along with the Black Beans are 1/2 cup of chopped Sweet Onion, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of butter, 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro, 1/4 a cup Sour Cream, 1 small Lemon, and one Avocado.
Easy Cooking Steps
1. Saute 1/2 cup of Sweet Onion in 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Butter until Onions are translucent. At same time, heat Black Beans in saucepan. Mix Onion into Black Beans along with chopped Cilantro when beans have been heated through and removed from heat. Reserve small amount of Cilantro for top garnish. Mix in Sour Cream to Black Beans dish. Top with Avocado slices and Cilantro garnish.
- Salsa-Check out this great Melon Salsa from Montana State University’s Extension Service.
- Guacamole-Alton Brown of the Food Network has a tasty recipe for Guacamole including Cilantro.
- Fish Tacos
- Soup-Good Housekeeping offers a delicious recipe for Gazpacho with Cilantro Cream.
- Pesto- A new twist in place on basil.
- Rice- Leigh Anne offers a great recipe for Lime Cilantro Rice at Your Homebased Mom.
- Chicken-Try out Recipe Girl’s Cilantro Chicken. Great for the grill!
- Nachos-A great topping complement to cheese, sour cream, and jalapenos
- Scrambled Eggs and Omelets
- 1/2 cup Sweet Onion Chopped
- 1/4 cup of Cilantro Chopped
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Butter
- 1/4 cup of Sour Cream
- 1 Small Lemon
- Saute the 1/2 cup of Sweet Onion with Butter until Onions are translucent.
- Heat the Black Beans in a sauce pan at the same time.
- Mix sauteed Sweet Onions along with chopped Cilantro into the Black Beans when beans have been removed from heat. Reserve a small amount of Cilantro for garnish.
- Mix 1/4 cup of Sour Cream into the dish.
- Cut Lemon and squirt juice of 1/2 half in mixture.
- Garnish with Avocado Slices and Cilantro.