The days leading up to Valentine’s Day are traditionally big sales days for retailers. The National Retail Federation ranks Valentine’s Day as one of the top four holidays for associated consumer spending. Stores stock their shelves to the brim with holiday-related merchandise, a decent amount which remains unsold at the end of Valentine’s Day.
This surplus can mean big savings for you. Be sure and check for deals on the following items starting the day after cupid’s visit:
- Flowers-That pile of left over bouquets and loose flowers at retailers and groceries will go on markdown in a hurry. Treat yourself to a nice flower arrangement at a fraction of the price it would have been before Valentine’s Day.
- Candy-Stock up on chocolates to use in your baking or treats for Easter. Check out these fun science experiments using Valentine’s Conversation Hearts from Mandi Welbaum at Moments with Mandi.
- Stuffed Animals-Lots of stores carry an abundance of cute stuffed animals that they will want to clear out after the holiday. These can make great gifts for birthdays and special occasions down the road.
- Heart Jewelry-Score deals on heart-shaped or themed jewelry including bracelets, earrings, and necklaces.
- Cookies/Cupcakes-Need something satisfying for dessert? Pick up some marked down cookies and cupcakes that stores will be glad to sell to you at bargain prices.
- Clothing-Are you a big fan of red and/or enjoy the heart motif? You are likely to find some nice prices on t-shirts and other apparel to add to your wardrobe.
- Valentine’s Cards-Why not stock up for next year on classroom box sets and individual cards.
- Window clings and decor-The dollar stores and craft retailers will be looking to unload their remaining decorations which may include bags and ribbon that you can repurpose for other occasions.
- Toys in Valentine’s Themed Packaging- Toy manufacturers, just like candy companies, often produce toys in Valentine’s themed packaging. The clearance sales can be a great way to stock up on toys to stash away for other celebrations during the year.
- Glassware and plates-Need to beef up your dishware. Now is a great time to find deals on cheerful cups and plates.