Looking for an easy way to cut your grocery bill. Buying house brands or generics can be the answer.
These days most groceries and grocery/retail centers carry house and generic brands. On many items, the taste is comparable to brand names and the regular cost is lower. Products that I have consistently found to be good when buying house brands are:
- Pasta-from Spaghetti to Macaroni Noodles, I have not been disappointed.
- Canned Beans-Black Beans, Black-Eyed Peas, Cannellini Beans, Great Northern Beans, Kidneys Beans, and more.
- Other Canned Vegetables-Artichokes, Carrots, Corn, Mushrooms, Sweet Potatoes, etc. . .
- Canned Fruit-Cherries,Fruit Cocktail, Mandarin Oranges, Mangoes,Peaches, and Pineapples are all quite tasty and you can’t tell the difference from brand name.
- All-Purpose Flour
- White and Brown Sugar
- Corn Starch
- Baking Soda
- Condensed Sweetened Milk
- Evaporated Milk
- Condensed Soups for Cooking– Cream of Celery, Cream of Chicken, and Cream of Mushroom.
Two product categories that I have found to be more hit or miss on house brands are condiments such as mayonnaise and ketchup and cereals. I suspect because specific tastes and texture preferences really matter in these categories.
Overall though I have found house brands and generics to be a win on comparable taste and cost saving on many product purchases.