Looking for a great resource that can save you hundreds of dollars over time? It is your public library. Find lots of services through your library that are absolutely FREE. Here is a list of a number of common services across library systems in addition to hardback and paperback book checkout.
- DVD Checkout-Find many newer releases that you can take home for free and keep up to a week in many cases. Some libraries also offer video game checkout.
- Audiobook Checkout-Why pay upwards of $20 for an audiobook that you will likely listen to just once. Borrow one from the library instead
- In Library Wireless Access-No need to pay the Internet company for a roaming wireless hotspot when you can use the one at the public library for free instead.
- Free Entertainment-From kid’s activities, such as story time and art and craft sessions, to grown up fun such as a jazz concert or guest author speaker, good times for the family have never been so easy on the budget.
- Business and Computer Classes- A number of libraries offer business skills and computer classes that are absolutely free to attend. Check your library’s events calendar to find out about upcoming trainings.
Even better you may now be able to take those business and computer classes from the comfort of your home without ever having to come to the library with remote access. Libraries are steadily increasing their remote offerings to patrons. Examples include:
- Ebooks-Many of the same great books that you can enjoy through the library in paperback and hardback forms. Downloadable to your tablet, phone, or desktop.
- Music Downloads-Some libraries offers services such as Freegal that let patrons download and keep up to three songs per week.
- Tutoring-How about an online tutoring service for the kids. Your library just may offer one. Check it out.
- Online Databases- Many public library websites offer access to subscription (often expensive) online databases. These databases focus on areas such as company information, genealogy, grant writing, health, and scholarship opportunities.
- Magazines- Why maintain those expensive magazine subscriptions when you can digitally download and view magazines via your library. (This is a newer perk at our library, but I am sure that many libraries are heading this way).