Shopping and packing up things for a college dorm room can be an exciting adventure. Although, it can get expensive, especially if you purchase items that you cannot use. Check out these 18 things NOT to put on the college dorm room buy list and save yourself hard-earned cash.
(Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. If you click one of the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission that will help support this blog. Thanks so much. )
The residence hall managers at schools are all about minimizing the danger of fire. Therefore, the following appliances for cooking are NOT usually allowed:
1. Hot plate-A pot with food left to cook too long or paper/flammable materials left to touch the hot cooking surface could easily ignite.
2. Toaster Oven-Who doesn’t love a a nice piece of toast or a warm Eggo? Not with a toaster oven in your dorm room, unfortunately. You will need to head to the the dining hall.
3. Deep Fryer-Fried food is a favorite among many college students. But, the frying will have to stay at the fast food place or a cafeteria on campus.
4. Indoor Grill-Fixing a tailgating feast in the dorm room using a grill is a no go. The grilling action has to stay outdoors in areas designated by the college.
5. Coffee Pot-Too many have been left on all day while students are out and about on campus. Burned coffee smell spreads throughout the dorm with lightning speed and lingers a long time. You will need to check with your school to see if Keurig-type coffee machines are allowed.
6. Popcorn Popper That Uses Oil-Stick to microwaveable popcorn packets or an air popper (if allowed in your dorm).
And speaking of heating things up, forget about bringing to your dorm room these temperature raisers:
7. Space Heater-An extra pair of socks or blanket will have to be the answer for keeping the tootsies warm.
8. Electric Blanket-This is another warmer that is liable to get left on all day long by accident.
9. Candle-Studying by candlelight might sound like fun, but not so much when you forget to put the flame out and the wax gets everywhere or something catches on fire. You will need to check with the school to see if flameless battery-powered candles are allowed.
10. Lava Lamp and/or Halogen Sun Lamps-Find a less heat-intense way to get your groovy on.
11. Hoverboard-Although, this contraption may seem like a cool way to get across campus, some models have been known to put on a fireworks show.
Other items to leave off your dorm room packing list include 12. incense, 13. paintball and bb guns, 14. mulit-plug adapters, 15. pets (other than goldfish) 16. power tools such as drills and saws, 17. nails (not allowed to use these to put things on the walls), and 18.window air conditioning units. By avoiding buying and and bringing along the things on this list, you will save yourself money, heartache, and precious space.
For more college tips: