I have a patriotic craft for you today that checks off lots of boxes. It is a kid-friendly, inexpensive, easy to make, paper wind whirler.
A few Paper Plates (the non-coated, thin, economical kind)
Red and Blue Markers, Crayons, or Colored Pencils
A Homemade Star Stencil
Piece of yarn or string (red or blue)
1. Cut paper plate starting at outer edge and circling inward towards center as you go. Should be one continuous string of loose circle when finished.
2. Once plate is cut out, measure and mark three inch segments along whole whirler.
3. Find a piece of small star design clip art or draw, and cut out around star.
4. Place star stencil in center of each three inch segment and trace around. Alternate coloring red and blue for each panel leaving white star in the middle. I and a beloved family member colored one side on our whirler, but you may wish to do both sides. Looks just fine either way.
5. Use the hole puncher to place a hole at the top of the whirler and thread a piece of yarn through to tie off and make a loop. Hang from a breezy spot on non-rainy days and enjoy the motion!
For another fun patriotic craft, check out the Patriotic Glow in the Dark Fireworks Decoration.